Outdoor kitchens & BBQ’s have certainly become one of the hottest items in home building in the last several years. You can get the same options from your indoor kitchen and you can put those components in your outdoor kitchen. For example, you can get cabinets, grills, refrigerators, drawers, sinks, wine storage… just about anything.
TEN TIPS FOR BETTER OUTDOOR KITCHEN DESIGN
- Apply good kitchen design principles for functional zones of the kitchen.
- Consider the relationship between the indoor kitchen and outdoor kitchen.
*How self-sufficient do you want the outdoor kitchen to be?
*How could they be used together when cooking or entertaining? What is the traffic pattern between them?
- Select low-maintenance materials designed to withstand the rigors of an outdoor kitchen.
- Compliment the design of the home.
- Plan the entire outdoor entertaining space as part of a single functional plan.
- Plan for utilities.
- Extend the outdoor entertaining season with heaters, shade and rain shelter.
- Incorporate music and other entertainment.
- Provide ample lighting.
- Most importantly, understand the user’s needs and the equipment available.
By addressing each of these topics, you can create outdoor cooking and entertaining areas that deliver great experiences year after year.